Free Web Counter

Sunday 18 March 2007

18th March

4 weeks in now and I've been very busy this weekend. The garden is looking a lot better and my tomato plants are coming on. Just waiting for my new greenhouse to arrive....
On the car front I've spent a small amount of time since sorting the steering but have progressed really well. The engine and box are in after I ground the chassis rail away where it was touching the bellhousing. No dramas, the rail where I ground it down was a blank end with a cap welded on. I took around 10mm off rounding it, and it didn't break through into the tube.



Above is the offending bit of chassis . You can see where the
bellhousing was touching.


One thick bit of weld just to cap it off I must say. This is probably unique to my car as it will in no way affect a bike engined installation.



I moved the brake line up on the other side of the bulkhead and across to the cylinder. There is no way there will be anything contacting it now.

It looks a bit wonky due to being rerouted but nothing too bad and I've secured it with plenty of P clips.

I fitted the bracket and brake fluid cylinder to the front of the bulkhead while I was in that area with the drill.



I fitted the radiator with a bit of a fiddle. The top brackets supplied were no good on one side because of the way the chassis rails are welded so I fabricated some new straight ones out of ali. The bottom mounts were regulation, BUT, I wish I'd done it before fitting the body as drilling and riveting the brackets to the outside of the rail as intended is impossible with the body fitted. Fitting to the inside of the chassis rail and a certain precise bit of bending got them in place and the radiator bolted on. I used M6 bolts to mount the rad as it may need to come off later. I don't intend too, but, you never know!

I've got loads of bits to carry on with, notably more wiring and the brakes. I need to spend some cash to progress now and that will have to wait until pay day. As I've said before I'm skint!!

No comments: