Free Web Counter

Tuesday 21 August 2007

Alternator

I've been wanting to put my alternator under the carbs above the oil filter mounting. Most people move the thing there when installing in this kind of RWD vehicle.

However, the space is very tight with a chassis tube dissecting the area and the steering shaft that gave me so much trouble with the oil filter is in the way as well.

So, I'm going to take the nearside engine mount off and fabricate a bracket to hold the alternater just around the sump line under the water pump outlet. This is the original Ford mounting point but I cant use the original bracket as its HUGE, with a pas pump and idler roller.

There seems to be plenty of room down there and there are some more threaded holes further back on the block to move the mount back. As it is the fabricated mounts that came with the kit are not at the same position on the block with this one I intend to move a lot further forward.

Once I have the alternator bracket I will use its rear mounting as the front hole for a new engine mount that will only need to be moved back around 40mm or so.


The mount will go back onto other threaded holes in the block and give enough room for the alternator in front of it under the pump outlet.

The mount will still be a little further forward than the other side so I don't see any problems in the thinking.

On the plus side its now just a small run to the battery cable on the starter for connections.

No comments: