Free Web Counter

Friday 8 February 2008



I've abandoned the airbox for the minute.I picked up a nice brand new Brise alternator off ebay and with it being quite small I thought it would be ideal.
Well, much head scratching with the alternator bracket I made earlier I nearly threw the thing in the bin! :-(









After searching the net and Locostbuilders I came to the conclusion an under hung bracket would do it.. and, it works perfectly, even with the belt I couldn't get tight enough before.

I've made a bracket out of 30x30x3mm angle from B&Q that pivots the alternator at the bottom. The adjuster arm at the top lets it swing out into plenty of space under the water pump outlet. It bolts onto 3 of the M10 holes in the block, the back being shared with the engine mount. The Mondeo pulley I had lying around fitted on perfectly and with a coat of paint thats one more headache out of the way!

I'm looking at alternative handbrake set ups now as I didn't feel the Sierra cable cut and attached with rope clamps was SVA friendly and it didn't look very good either. I'm looking to use a Rover handle that has a very compact mechanism and the cable attaches with big nipples. One cable per side means no cutting. However the cable I got off a Rover 200 is about 2 yards too long so I'm looking to use a Freelander jobbie that has the same ends but is much shorter.

Whether the other end fits the Sierra drums is another matter. Time will tell!

No comments: