Free Web Counter

Monday 17 November 2008

This week has seen me buy a new tintop, Rover 45, and get the Focus engine ready for install. I took the engine and alternator mount off the silvertop and offered them up to the blacktop. Of course they didn't fit. As mentioned earlier there's one of the M10 threads for the engine mount in the block missing, although I've seen other blacktop engines where this is present! Also my custom alternator mount fouls the water pump housing. So, I've made a new alternator bracket using the Focus aircon mount and remade the engine mount using a threaded boss on the sump.This required a bit of angle with lugs for the alternator that bolted on using the A/C pump points. Its a bit closer to the engine than the last effort and a lot lighter!I used the original steering pump bracket to mount an idler for the auxiliary belt with an attachment point for the alternator upper adjuster arm.The engine mount has been remade using the top mount behind the A/C bracket. This involved grinding away the thickness of the mount from the back of the A/C bracket and sharing the bolt holes in the block. An extra 'leg' was welded to the bottom of the mount to attach to an M10 boss on the cast sump.A new belt was sourced from Halfords that goes round the new system, along with new engine oil and filter. I'm just waiting for a new cam belt kit to come as I want to install it while the engines on the stand. Then I'll be hoisting the 1.8 out and dropping the ST170 in!

No comments: