Free Web Counter

Saturday 10 March 2007

10th March


Its been slow progress this week with challenges and problems to resolve. The lack of bolts for the front suspension was resolved when the ones I ordered from Namrick came Thursday.
The front suspension is on at the moment but with bits of wood for the shocks. The shocks are far too long without the weight of the engine and push the front right up in the air and the wishbones foul the holes in the body I had cut!
Yesterday I dragged the recon brake calipers I had stashed away only to be greeted by an unholy rusty mess.

There was a considerable amount of surface rust coming through the silver paint. Assessing them I discovered that there was rust under the paint as well. The pistons were well pitted around the contact area with the pad. Not a very good recon job at all!
Looking at my original calipers, sitting in red oxide after having been treated to the electrolysis bath many months ago they looked a much better bet.
I popped the pistons out and these too looked in better condition than the 'recon' ones so I decided to use the new seals out of the recon parts in my original donor calipers. A coat of smooth Hammerite and I called it a day.
Today I was waylaid by the MotoGP and got stuck in this afternoon. the Hammerite on my calipers was still tacky so I bunged them in the oven at 130deg for 1 1/2 hours. Sorted, dry and the recon bits gave up their seals. The calipers are ready to go on now but I can't find the original bolts and the ones I have are too long. ARGGHHHHH!!!!!
OK time for the rack to go in, and in it did go. With the rack parts all assembled and fully wound in I still have around 8" toe out which ain't going to go away. More ARGGHHHHH!!!!! A quick call to MNR and they will sort it out. It seems I may have the wrong extensions as there are two types!
I still hope to get the engine in this weekend but I not very optimistic at the moment. Watch this space....

No comments: