Free Web Counter

Tuesday 6 March 2007

6th March.

Yesterday I completed the rear suspension with the drive shafts in place. There is some discrepancy between the rear uprights with the nearside needing a spacer between the upright rose joint and the upright but the off side has the rose joint hard up against the bracket.

Also, the bottom wishbones were handed with the top wishbones being symmetrical. The opposite of the description in the manual. With the top bones not being offset my shocks are pushed right forward and are hard against one side of the top bracket under the rollbar. Again there looks to be some discrepancy between the two sides. I'll check it out later in case it's me doing something wrong.

With the drive shafts secure in the diff and the back plates on I temporarily fitted the rear wheels and with some brute force lifted the car down off the trestles its been on since I started.

I worked out the position of the front bottom holes in the body by placing the wishbone on the bench, using it as the edge of the bodywork at an angle to replicate the position it would finally fit into the car. I worked out the front chassis hanger was 2" inside the body and the back one 4". I then placed the bone on the table hanging over the side by the same amount . This gave me the angle of the bone and the distance the two holes needed to be apart. I made a cardboard template to make sure it worked on the bench. After using a set square and ruler I transferred the dimensions onto the outside of the body were I confirmed it to be the same as the template.

After marking measuring, confirming with the template I went for it with the holesaw, fingers crossed. It came out Ok, the holes are in the right place for the arm where it intersects the body and are far enough part to get the bones in.

Bottom arms attached I intended to have the front wheels on but there is a lack of bolts and spacers to get it all together at the moment. I'll be using some rigid struts temporarily in place of the shocks to get it on its wheels

1 comment:

Tim said...

Blimey - it's coming together quickly.

I think I need to think less and act more!

Cheers

TC