Free Web Counter

Monday 6 August 2007

Nearly there...

Well, nearly got to the point of starting it! Filled the engine with oil tonight and pulled the plugs. It has been standing for over a year, (carbon offsetting?) and I put a little oil down the bores and turned it over with a socket.

Last evening saw the battery and cables connected and as I was able to spin the motor over on the starter I thought I'd give it ago!

I put 4L of oil in to get to the middle of the dipstick. Prior to this I connected an oil pressure gauge up. I wanted to see what was happening as the light doesn't work yet but doesn't tell you much anyway!

I intended to use the oil pressure gauge anyway but when I removed the oil switch from the side of the block it was a big thread, not having the necessary T piece, mine was way to small, I turned to the net to find the correct adapter. A quick Google search came up with a number of spots around the engine that are tapped 1/8npt and blanked off. There are two behind the coil pack but inaccessible because of it and I spotted another at the front of the head behind the inlet manifold. They have a little torx head tapered grub screw in them I had to remove a little metal from the inlet to clear but once that was done the 1/8 oil taper screwed straight in no dramas.

I think this location is better as the pressure will be 'in head' as opposed to half way up the block

With the oil in and plugs out I ran the starter for a couple of seconds, with not much happening on the gauge. I checked the oil again and it hadn't moved, suggesting to me it hadn't filled the filter or remote hoses yet. I ran the starter again and after another couple seconds the gauge shot up to 65 Ib\ft. Checked the oil and it had disappeared off the dipstick. Another half liter saw it up the marks and with the book recommending 4.3L with a filter that's about right.

I'm nearly finished with the electrics but will be leaving some till later. At the moment there is no dash, apart from an oil pressure gauge!. Also I've not got an alternator to fit yet so that requires attention soon.


At the moment the battery is in place and just needs securing. I'm thinking of a plastic or fibreglass shield to cover the whole lot in.

The plug you can see there is teh wire that goes to the ignition switch.

No comments: