Free Web Counter

Thursday 2 August 2007

Progress at last!

Yesterday I paid a visit to MNR and picked up a fuel cap and hose along with a set of rear lights. I set too as soon as I got home finally getting round to fitting the tunnel cover. Starting with a piece of cardboard I mapped the chassis tubes to cut round and the correct length on both sides. They do differ slightly by about 5mm so it was measure, measure, measure CUT! No dramas and with the holes cut for the handbrake and gearstick its in place now.

With lights in hand its time to suss out my home made loom. Firstly its quite a while since I last looked at the wiring so it took a while to get my head round everything because I didn't label it up when I pulled it all together. Doh!

First thing to come on was the side lights which worked OK of the switch. Trying to get the headlights on was different all together. No main or high, and with the multimeter I can see voltage on both sides of the switch. I studied the Sierra diagrams over a couple cans of lager, (not a good idea by the way). Turns out in the Sierra the circuit is live and the switch earths it out to turn the lights on. Now, not being in possession of the Sierra stalk switch is a little difficult but for now just earthing the 'switch' wire gets the lights on. I've fitted and wired in the number plate lamp and also fitted the fuel cap and tank hose while round the back.

I've also fitted the new ZX9R carbs, finishing the manifold with a coat of Hammerite. All mounted on the engine now looking rather splendid.

There is plenty of room around the carbs and I wanted them on because I need to mount the alternator underneath. Now I know how much room I have to play with.

I'll be cracking on now getting electrical items online and working so I can move toward starting the thing up!

No comments: