Free Web Counter

Monday 21 April 2008






Today saw me at Teeside Autodrome for a track day. Arrived just after 8am due to slow traffic on the A19 and A66. Good selection of cars, a lot of Westfields, but not as many bike engined cars as I thought would be there. Temporary front cycle wings made out of the side of a washing machine. Worked a treat and looked quite good as well!

Went out on a 3 lap intro behind the pace car to get used to the track. After the introduction we were out on the track. I got going and found there wasn't much top end revs when I thought I could smell petrol. As I backed off to pull in... Boosh! steam everywhere. The top bleeding pipe had blown off and sprayed water everywhere. Fixed that by flaring the pipe a little and holding it on with a tie wrap. Out again and within 2 laps the temp was up to 110deg. In again to find the water rail cap bubbling away. Another couple of goes and still running very hot.

With help from the guys around me I decided to take the thermostat out as the top pipe to the rad was a lot colder than the rest of the system. Out again and the temp stayed down at 70deg and dipped on the back straight. Excellent, now the fueling. The car was very quick through the twisty bits and due to the throttle running on a bit I only used 3rd and 4th all the way round. Out on the straight I could get it up to 5500rpm in third but only 4K in top. Everything flashed past me on the straight. I had a meddle with the carb settings a few times, and ran it without the airbox but deciding the main jets were too small I concentrated on getting some laps in and having a good time.

Couple of points from the day, the throttle needs a heavier return spring and the carbs need setting up correctly. Not too difficult, just need a rest for a bit as I'm aching all over!!

So with 88 miles on the clock from today it's SVA next. Just a few bits to dress up and we should be on the road soon!

No comments: